The Environmental Working Group reports hundreds of millions of Americans, including Western Pennsylvania, are drinking water contaminated with a cancer-causing chemical.
According to the study, all but one water system in the region were found to have water contaminated by the carcinogenic chemical chromium 6.
Chromium 6 is the same chemical in the movie and in the real-life case of Erin Brockovich.
60,000 water samples from all 50 states were collected for the study and 75 percent were found to have higher levels of chromium 6 than what the researchers deemed to be safe.
The U.S. Environment Protection Agency has not set a safe limit for safe levels of chromium 6 in drinking water. There is scientific uncertainty regarding possible long-term consequences of ingestion.
The Tri County Joint Municipal Authority in Washington County was the only local water system that did not test positive for the chemical.
Here is the list of those that tested positive:
- Ambridge Water Authority
- Beaver Falls Municipal Authority
- Buffalo Twp. Municipal. Authority
- Center Township Water Authority
- Charleroi Borough Municipal Authority
- Cranberry Township
- Creswell Heights Joint Authority
- Freeport-Southwestern PA Water Authority
- Hampton Shaler Water Authority
- Highridge Water Authority
- Kittanning Suburb Joint Water Authority
- Latrobe Municipal Authority
- Monroeville Municipal Authority
- Moon Township Municipal Authority
- Morgantown Utility Board
- New Kensington Municipal Authority
- North Fayette County Municipal Authority (Fayette County)
- Oakmont Borough Municipal Authority
- PA American Water Co. – Brownsville
- PA American Water Co. – Butler
- PA American Water Co. – Connellsville
- PA American Water Co. – Ellwood Cty.
- PA American Water Co. – New Castle
- PA American Water Co. – Pittsburgh
- PA American Water Co. – Uniontown
- Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority
- Plum Borough Municipal Authority
- Westmoreland County Municipal Authority – McKeesport
- Westmoreland County Municipal Authority – Sweeney Plant
- Westmoreland County Municipal Authority – Yough Plant
- West View Borough Municipal Authority
- Wilkinsburg-Penn Joint Water Authority