UPDATE: Woman found dead; husband now brain-dead

The woman who police believe was abducted by her estranged husband has been found dead. Her body was found in a barn.

Her husband was found alive and is being treated for a self-inflicted gunshot wound. KDKA reports he has been declared “brain-dead”.

Pennsylvania State Police in Washington County received an alert that Tierne Ewing, 48, was taken from a home on Blockhouse Run Road in West Finley Township by Kevin Ewing, 47, around 12:30 a.m. early Tuesday morning.

KDKA reports the police found their vehicle just before 11:00 Tuesday morning, but the man or woman were not there.

The vehicle was found in a wooded area in West Alexander near the intersection of McGuffey and Old Brick Roads. Crews are currently searching the area via air and ground.


According to KDKA, “SWAT vehicles turned onto Walnut Valley Road in West Findlay Township around 9 p.m. That’s where police are searching for suspect, Kevin Ewing.”

Tuesday night, WPXI reported their crews were on the scene and the authorities had Ewing surrounded. Several hours later, SWAT was able to enter the barn and that’s where they found Tierne’s body. Police told KDKA she died of an apparent gunshot wound. Kevin was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital.

(AP) — Ewing was accused earlier of keeping his wife captive from June 26 to July 8.

Tierne Ewing, 48, had told authorities he beat and pistol-whipped her, spat on her, kept her hands tied with wire and branded her legs with a piece of hot metal, according to a criminal complaint charging him with kidnapping, aggravated assault, terroristic threats, false imprisonment and other crimes.

Tierne Ewing had staples closing a cut on her head — a home remedy, not hospital-administered — that she told police was caused when her husband hit her with a wooden gun stock. She had also been locked in a closet, police said.

Tierne Ewing escaped when her husband sent her into a credit union to withdraw money and she told tellers she was being held against her will and feared that her husband would kill her, the complaint said.

Bank officials called police, who found Kevin Ewing in the parking lot with a rifle, handgun and a knife, the complaint said.

Washington County District Attorney Eugene Vittone said his office had asked a judge to keep Ewing in jail after he unexpectedly posted bail last month. Prosecutors were concerned because of the seriousness of the charges, Vittone said.

But the judge allowed Ewing to remain free at home with the ankle bracelet.

State police warned Tuesday that Ewing should be considered armed and dangerous. His attorney said he didn’t know where Ewing would have gone but was hoping for a good outcome.


Leave a Reply