A woman is arrested after being forced to evacuate her 6-unit townhouse in Irwin on Tuesday, reports WPXI.
Police say Brenda Everette was using acid to extract chemicals from a nasal decongestant. This caused the corrosion of natural gas pipes in the building on 10th Avenue, and the smell is what prompted the evacuation.
— Pittsburgh News (@PittsNews24) August 3, 2016
Irwin Police Chief Roger Pivirotto commented on the seriousness of this and the concern some neighbors had.
“The neighbors were put in danger by the chemicals that were being used in the house,” Pivirotto said.
The charge against Everette is for reckless endangerment and risking a catastrophe.
Fellow residents in the townhouse had to leave the area until 6:45 p.m. Tuesday night once repairs were made to the gas lines.